You must be aware of ways to prevent the chance of devastating fires in your home. Hire a professional to ascertain whether or not your home electrical wiring, gas, heating and air conditioning are all in order. Take simple steps to prevent the occurrence of a hazardous situation.
For starters, always stay in the kitchen when using the cooking range. Even if you have to leave for a minute, turn off all the burners on the range. Never cook when drinking alcohol; only cook your meals when fully alert.
In addition, cigarettes have also shown to be fire hazards, and you should avoid situations that might cause you to fall asleep while smoking. It’s always good to stand when smoking as it will prevent you from falling asleep; or limit yourself to only smoking outside. When you’re finished, make sure you always put out your cigarette in an ash tray, and dampen the ashes before you clean the tray out.
Home maintenance is also an ideal way to avoid fires in your home-constantly checks the condition of your electrical systems. For example, look for improperly grounded receptacles, damaged wiring, overloaded circuit breakers, panel boxes and fuse boxes. As part of that, check your breakers or fuses to make sure none have any piggy backed circuits; avoid surges. Flickering lights or intermittent power surges should always be looked into. These may be indications of a bad connection or a short in the circuit. And you should also keep a close eye on any breakers that trip or fuses that blow frequently. This is almost always a sign of an overloaded circuit or faulty wiring.
It’s also crucial to check the cooking gas or LP gas connection of your home. If you have gas plumbing that involves pipes or valves or regulators, make sure that they are checked regularly for safety. Always use the services of a professional to do this. If you should happen to smell gas or suspect any type of leakage, get it checked immediately. But don’t stop with these types of amenities-regularly maintain your fireplace and check the vent stacks on gas water heaters, furnaces and clothes dryers.
Another excellent way to minimize the chance of fire in your home is to advise your family not to leave debris around your home. Built-up debris and unnecessary objects can act as fuel for fire. For added fire protection, you might consider the installation of indoor sprinklers. Take your home safety to an even higher level by installing fire alarms and carbon monoxide detectors-save lives with these inexpensive devices.
As part of your home-safety program, all flammable liquids should be properly stored. Make sure that they are away from any sources of ignition or open flame. Elements such as gasoline, paint thinners or other combustible liquids should be kept out of the house-never store flammable material in your garage or utility areas. You also need to be very careful with candles and oil lamps. These open flame illuminations are potential fire hazards. It’s best to keep such flames covered with a wire cage to prevent flammable material from falling on to it. Keep children and pets away from open flames at all times. As a rule, always extinguish any open flames or fire before leaving the room.